With only weeks to go before the start of Easter, many homeowners have already made plans to go away on holiday. Of course, before you go anywhere, there is always a list of things which need to be done before you leave. Aside from making sure your pets will be cared for, it is also important that your home insurance and contents insurance is up to date in case anything goes wrong. By having home insurance and contents insurance, your building and household contents will be covered against theft and damage.
Home security tips
If you are going away, then there are a few precautions you can take to help protect your home.
- Ensure all doors and windows are locked and closed.
- If you are able to, arrange for a trusty person (a friend or relative) to housesit for you.
- Let your neighbours know you will be away and ask them to keep an eye on your property.
- Arrange for someone to collect any mail or newspapers from your premises so it doesn’t accumulate.
- If you have pets, consider putting them in a kennel or hire a pet sitter to take care of them. Not only is it cruel to leave pets on their own, but it also puts them at risk of being poisoned by criminals.
- Before leaving, check your property and make sure there are no garden tools lying around which criminals could use to break into your home.
- According to the South African Police Service, you must never broadcast your holiday plans on social media.
- Use timers to turn on lights at certain times to give the impression that someone is home. You can also install motion detecting lights outside your house.
- Install an alarm system. If you already have one, test it to make sure it is working properly.
Before going on holiday, you should also take precautions to prevent any physical damage happening to your house. By taking out building insurance, your property will be covered from damage caused by fire, lightning, hail, rain, wind and other outside elements.
Aside from having adequate coverage, here are some steps you can take to protect your house:
- Turn off your geyser.
- Turn off and unplug any electrical appliances which will not be in use (television, computer, etc.).
If you are planning on going on holiday this Easter and are looking for affordable home insurance quotes, contact a reliable service provider and get all the cover you need.