To make the process even more efficient, consider keeping the following safety kit in your car at all times:
- A notebook and pen
- One to two copies of this checklist
- A torch
- A first aid kit
- A safety triangle
- A tape measure
In the event of a car accident:
- Stop your car, breathe, and remain calm.
- Switch on your hazards and switch off your engine. Put out your safety triangle, if necessary.
- Call the police to the scene by dialing 10111. (This is not necessary if there is only minor damage and no injuries, however the incident must be reported within 24 hours.)
- Call Road and Emergency Services on 0860 63 33 39 for free roadside assistance, or contact the iWYZE Call Centre on 0860 63 33 39 so that towing and storage arrangements can be made.
- Call a friend or family member to the scene for additional support, if necessary.
- Do not admit liability to the third party, even if you suspect the collision may have been your fault.
- Take down the following details for insurance purposes:
The third party involved:
- ID number
- Street address
- Home and cell phone number
- Insurance details
The vehicle involved:
- The make, model, colour and registration number of the vehicle
- The name, address, and home, cell and work phone numbers of the vehicle owner (if not the vehicle is not owned by the third party)
Details relating to the accident:
- The date, time, and place of the car accident
- Any factors you think may have contributed to the accident (e.g. the third party being drunk, talking on a cell phone, etc.)
- The names and addresses of any witnesses
- The name of the police officer who arrives, and their police station
- The name of the approved tow truck driver who arrives, and the name of the panel beater they will be going to
- Record the following accident details, either by taking pictures, or drawing a diagram:
- The layout of the road at the time of the incident
- The position of both vehicles involved
- Any skid marks on the road
- The collision points on both vehicles
- The damage to both vehicles
- The third party’s license plate number
- Do not feel pressurised into accepting the services of any tow trucks that may arrive. Explain that you have called your insurance company and that an approved driver is on the way.
- Once you have received a case number for the incident, you will be able to make a car insurance claim by:
- Submitting your claim online
- Calling iWYZE on 0860 63 33 39
- Sending an email to iWYZE with details of your policy or ID number
- Or SMSing “CLAIM” to 33771
Remember, should you feel confused, panicked or unable to deal with the situation, simply call Road and Emergency Services on 0860 63 33 39, or contact the iWYZE Call Centre on 0860 63 33 39. Our team of professional consultants will be only too glad to assist you in any way they can.